Welcome to our archived site of the work of CGS at All Saints Parish up to April of 2018!

Thursday, September 25, 2014

And Now For Something Completely Different!

Serving as a catechist in multiple levels always gives a fresh perspective on child development (spiritual and otherwise), but this is the first year I've been in a Level I atrium alongside the older kids. After 7 years with the older kids, I could describe the transition back to Level I with six words:

"And Now for Something Completely Different!" 

This is probably because the 3-6 year old child has not yet moved into what Montessori called "the rational mind." They are still absorbing everything with no filter, and they can't necessarily verbalize what they need or what they are thinking. I have already had to use nearly all of my skills as a reverse hostage negotiator to help some of the 3 year olds get over the threshold of the atrium.  Never have I had to do that with 10 year olds!

At the beginning of the year, the catechists from the older atria are often smiling and going on about the fruit they are seeing with the children they serve, while the Level I catechists share struggles with spills, messes, and little children who actually get up and walk away during their presentations.

But there is the other side of the coin: one parent told a Level I catechist that her child has been talking about her all week and already loves her.  I don't think any of my Level III boys will get quite to that point, even after the whole year! Another three year old Level I child told his dad, "I didn't think I would like going to catechism. But I do! I really, really do!"

It's pretty easy to get a big head when you are a catechist for the youngest children, because they are so full of joy and love, and when they see you, they want to hold your hand and they seem so happy.  But that is the nature of the 3-6 year old child.  They love with all that is in them, and they want to feel safe, and protected, and cared for.

It is our work as catechists to be the "matchmaker" between these little children who have such a desire and capacity for love and the Good Shepherd who calls them by name and cares for them so deeply.

While the privilege of seeing an older child mature into a more adult faith is awe-inspiring, the spiritual development of the 3-6 year old child retains and reveals something to us that is totally mysterious and, in reality, completely different.

Jesus Christ, the true Catechist, reminds us to pay attention to how His love grows in these little ones:  
"The kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it." Luke 18:16b-17

And again,

"Whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me." Matthew 18:5

May God Bless you and your family,

Mandie DeVries, CGS Catechist and Director of Religious Education

Interested in learning more about Catechesis of the Good Shepherd? New formation courses are beginning all the time!  Check out www.cgsusa.org to find a course near you.  

No comments: