Welcome to our archived site of the work of CGS at All Saints Parish up to April of 2018!

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Dandelions for Mother

Ahhhh, dandelion season.

It's that lovely time of year when our children spend more and more time running around outside, and more often than not, I have a little vase of fresh yellow "flowers" from my littlest ones that is constantly being refreshed.

My kiddos know that I love flowers, and even their little dandelions bring me joy because they remind me of their innocent little faces that were full of love upon handing me their gifts.

Next week (May 4th), at the 8:30 mass, our parish will have its annual May Crowning.  The women and girls of the parish will bring forward flowers from their gardens or local flower shops, and place them in vases before the statue of our Blessed Mother, and place a crown of roses on her head. 

I sometimes like to imagine Jesus as a child. and wonder what sort of gifts He would shower on His beloved mother.  He did perfectly keep all 10 commandments, after all, and "Honor your Father and Mother" would not have been an exception!  I can only imagine what great love He felt for her, and how much honor he showed!

Many Mother's Days ago, my husband bought me a beautiful Mary statue for our yard.  It has become a tradition in May each year for us to bring our handmade (silk) flower crown in procession to our Mother.  The children have little vases that they will place at her feet, (more often than not, these are filled with dandelions).  It's just a little thing that we do to celebrate the month of May, but it gives us a simple and innocent way to imitate the love that our Lord had for his Mother, especially during this month of blooms that so reminds us of Mary's beautiful love for Jesus and for us!

"O Mary we crown thee with blossoms today! Queen of the Angels! Queen of the May!"

No comments: