Welcome to our archived site of the work of CGS at All Saints Parish up to April of 2018!

Monday, November 27, 2017

Little Shoes

Advent is such a beautiful time of preparation and memory making. A friend told me long ago to be very attentive to what I do with my children in a season as charged as Advent and Christmas. Everything takes on the air and feel of a tradition!



One of those traditions is to begin our Advent with a small basket on our family prayer table that represents a manger. We have a container with pieces of yellow yarn and shredded paper close by. We begin on the first Sunday of Advent, by remembering that when Jesus came, there was no room for him, no soft place to lay his head.

Our family makes a special focus to make a soft place for baby Jesus in our home and in our hearts. Each time we offer a sacrifice or choose a kind word when it would have been easier to be harsh, we can put a piece of "straw" in the manger. On Christmas Morning, we process with our baby Jesus to the manger which has been prepared for him.

Another favorite tradition is centered around St. Nicholas Day (on December 6th). Our children remember (even if we forget) to set out a shoe (just one shoe in my family!) before bed on December 5th. In the night, "St. Nicholas" brings chocolate coins and one real silver coin and places them in the waiting shoes. Sometimes there is even a chocolate orange, but heaven help me if I forget to pick up the chocolate coins! (I found them at Hobby Lobby this year)! I've never thought to take a picture of the little shoes all lined up.

Getting ready for Advent this year, I can't help but notice that my children are not so little anymore (at least, most of them aren't), and my oh my how those little shoes have grown. We really do have only a few years with them when they are small. So I invite you, parents, to do as I do as we prepare for this holy season: take a breath and say a prayer for the grace to be present to and grateful for this special time with your family. The special grace of sharing this season with children is not a blessing that everyone receives, and those shoes won't be little for long.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let me say, Mandie, that you are so right about being present to your children now! Especially in this holy season of Advent and Christmas. Mine are now in their teens and twenties, but it still seems only last week when they were toddling around the playground begging my wife and I to push them on the swing just a few more times. What I would give to "do it again"! You get one shot at childhood, one opportunity to love them in the moment, one chance to cherish the unique beauty of each age. Although I find myself regretting precious time I spent away from family over the years, I regret not a single moment I spent with them. No matter what else I gave up. Not one moment. St. Francis Xavier famously said, "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man." Well, CGS helps parents appreciate the beauty and opportunity of childhood to give shape to a lifetime. Thank you for that and for all you do! God bless you. Tom