Welcome to our archived site of the work of CGS at All Saints Parish up to April of 2018!

Monday, April 14, 2014

Where do you pray?

Where do you pray?

I attended a retreat recently where the participants were asked this question.  The answers were all over the place (literally!):
  • I pray before meals, so I guess I pray at the table a lot. 
  • I have a long commute so I turn on my Rosary app and pray in the car sometimes.
  • I pray in Church (duh). 
  • I sit at my kitchen island and pray with my coffee in the morning.
  • I curl up in a comfy chair with a blanket and pray.
  • I go for walks and pray as I am walking.
  • I always pray by the side of my bed.
I had to think for a little bit about this question. Do I have a favorite place?  I have some favorite spots to go, but when it comes to daily prayer, I guess there's one place that is constantly a reminder to me that I need to check in with God: my bed. More specifically: on my pillow! 

It was kind of an unconscious thing for most of my life. I must have heard and resonated with the psalm I heard as a young person : "I think of you upon my bed, I remember you through the watches of the night" Psalm 63:7. For some reason I never really thought about, going to bed was a time to remember and think of God.  

What about you?  What is your favorite place to pray?  What about your children?  If you don't have one yet, what place could you make into your own "prayer place"?

No comments: