Welcome to our archived site of the work of CGS at All Saints Parish up to April of 2018!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Nod

(Reprinted from 2014--I will be taking July off from posting. I look forward to starting up again in August!)

I remember the first time I left Mass early.

I was 11, I think, and my older cousin had tapped me and let me know we'd leave right after Communion. We were such renegades! As we headed past the doors, I grabbed a bulletin to give to my mom as "proof" that I went to Mass, and the two of us ran home to my grandmother's while they were finishing the Communion hymn.

When were back in our hometown and on our way to Mass at our own parish, I (foolishly) asked my parents if we could leave after Communion.  If I could have seen my mother's face, I'm sure the mixture of shock and disapproval would have been plain, but instead I heard my dad say:

"How about this: you kids look at me right before Communion, and if I give "the nod" then you'll know to just keep walking out the door instead of coming back to our pew?" 

We were pretty amazed at this response, but it made that Mass go a lot more quickly that day! We got to the Sign of Peace and we were all looking at Dad to see if he'd give us "the nod" yet.  

Nothing. 

All through the Lamb of God, we were peeking at him, but he seemed especially devoted to his prayers because he didn't even look up!  After the final song, Father left and we turned to go. When I asked Dad about it in the car, he said, "Oh, well, I guess you'll just need to watch for it next week."

We kept watching for the next few weeks, but it was like my dad's head became immobile and barely moved at all from the Great Amen to the closing blessing.  

I remember one particular Sunday when I realized that "the nod" was actually never going to happen. My dad pointed out a small painting near the back door of a parish in a neighboring town.  It had a picture of a guy with sneaky eyes darting out the back door. Underneath the painting were these words: 

"Judas was the first one to leave Mass early."  



Let's just say I got the message!

God's blessing on you and your family this week and always.
Mandie DeVries, Director of Religious Education

No comments: