Welcome to our archived site of the work of CGS at All Saints Parish up to April of 2018!

Monday, June 20, 2016

World Youth Day: Krakow 2016

I remember sitting in front of the computer the day that World Youth Day in Rio 2013 drew to a close. They had just announced the next location for World Youth Day: Krakow 2016. I shared the post on Facebook with the note: "Change jar starts now!" It took a while before people realized that I was serious.

World Youth Day 1993 in Denver was perhaps the most trajectory-changing experience of my life. I was 14 years old, and my mom was one of the chaperons. The debt of gratitude I owe to the great Polish Pope has been drawing my heart back to WYD ever since, though until now, it has not happened. I knew that the clock was ticking for how long I would even remotely be considered to qualify for the "youth" part of this event, so when I saw the location was POLAND, well... I set my heart on it.

It was probably Fall 2013 when I came to my husband and officially asked if we could go: not just me, but all 7 of us. I remember his response very clearly: he laughed at me. "There is no way," he said, "that we could have enough money to take our family across the world." But I wasn't daunted.

"I know," I responded with a smile. "That's why I want to pray that we would have enough money to go. My Father in heaven is rich, and if He chooses, we can have enough money to go."

More laughter. "You can pray," was his response, and I'm sure he thought that was the end of the conversation.

"Great!" I responded, "But just so you know, that means that if God does get us the money, we have to go." As he walked away, I'm pretty sure my darling spouse didn't think we were in much danger of that.

Be Careful What You Pray For

The girls, especially the oldest one, were motivated. They began working at odd jobs (like walking a neighbor's dog) and making caramel rolls and selling them in the driveway on late start school days or offering them for donation after First Friday mass. Sometimes people would pay $20 or even $100 for a caramel roll. Before long our girls had enough money stowed away to pay for two plane tickets AND all of their passports. They knew that it wasn't just their hard work that was making this happen, it was also the generosity of dozens of people who were inspired by our desire to take this pilgrimage.

My husband and I also had unexpected changes that led to the ability to save more money. He, for example, received a call out of the blue offering him a full-time, work-from-home job with an excellent company. Even the blessing of little David last October was taken in stride.

The point-of-no-return happened in December when we received a very generous check from some family members. Matt's yellow flashing light turned to green and we bought the passports and the tickets. Even a brief fear that we would not find lodging has been provided for from God's hand: a local Polish woman from Sacred Heart parish has helped us connect with her sister who is living there. We will be renting her family's apartment for the 10 days we are in Krakow.

This is happening. My eldest daughter is nearly the same age as I was in '93, and I am the same age as my mom was on that trip. Incredibly, my mom will be joining us on this journey, as well!

Pilgrimage

We officially begin our pilgrimage to Poland to gather with Pope Francis and youth from around the world on July 19th. There will be a send-off mass at the regular 8 am mass at our parish(!) that day for all of those from the Des Moines Diocese who will be heading to Chicago to fly out. We will spend 17 days in Poland where we expect to meet up with an expected 4 million other pilgrims. As our WYD pilgrim journals point out: this is not a vacation or an excursion. We are not seeking rest or even adventure. The goal of a pilgrimage is transformation, and that is our purpose and hope.

We will be taking our parish with us in our hearts, and we ask you to pray for us as we go.

"Blessed are the merciful for they shall receive mercy." WYD 2016 Theme

God's Blessing on you this week and always!
Mandie DeVries, Director of Religious Education

No comments: